Shun Premier Utility Knife: 6.5-in.
The Shun Premier Utility Knife is for trimming green beans, broccoli, and other jobs where you need some precision. A good utility knife is the third member of your must-have kitchen knife line up. In size, it’s between a chef’s knife and a paring knife, making it the perfect size for all those in-between tasks. The razor-sharp edge also makes quick work of anything that goes in a sandwich with meat, cheese, tomato slices and more. That specialized use is why this style of knife is sometimes called a sandwich knife. You’ll also love the secure grip the ambidextrous Premier contoured handle provides.
The Shun Premier line calls to mind as the hand-forged knives of ancient Japan. While each knife still takes at least 100 handcrafted steps to complete, the materials Shun uses are among the most advanced in the industry. Each blade has a cutting core of Shun’s proprietary VG-MAX “super steel” to take and hold a precision edge. The layered Damascus cladding supports the core and provides additional stain resistance. Near the edge of the blade where the steels meet, an undulating line is formed, similar to samurai swords using a traditional clay-baking technique. The hammered tsuchime finish acts like a series of hollow-ground cavities to reduce drag. The handles nestle comfortably in the hand, while the embossed end cap adds balance and beauty. Handcrafted in Seki, Japan with a limited lifetime warranty.
- VG-MAX steel core, Damascus clad with 32-layers of SUS410/SUS431 stainless steel; full tang
- Hammered Tsuchime finish, helps release the food from the blade easily when slicing
- Rockwell Hardness: 60-61; hand-sharpened Japanese double-bevel blade angle 16° (each side)
- Contoured walnut PakkaWood handle accommodates right and left-handed users
- Handcrafted in Seki, Japan with a limited lifetime warranty; hand wash with gentle dish soap